Sodium Bisulphite Solution
Name : Sodium Bisulphite Solution
Grade : Food
Description : Clear, colorless to yellowish solution containing 36 – 38 % Sodium Bisulphite (NaHSO3) or 37.5 - 40.5 % sodium bisulfite (NaHSO3) or approx. 23 – 24 % sulphur dioxide (SO2). Odour of SO2.
PRODUCT DATA AND TYPICAL PROPERTIES
Chemical name : Sodium bisulfite (or sodium hydrogen sulfite) aqueous solution
Chemical formula : NaHSO 3
Molar mass : 104.06 g/mol
CAS-No. : 7631-90-5
EINECS-No. : 231-548-0
Properties : Solution is acidic and oxidizes when contacting air.
Sodium Bisulphite (NaHSO3) : % WT 36 – 38
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) : % WT 22.9 – 24.2
Iron (as Fe) : 20 pmMax.
Density : Kg/L 1.3 – 1.4
pH : 4.0 – 5.0
The product is tested using our standard analytical methods.
- Food: Preserving foodstuffs, aid with the production of starch, for ensiling green fodder.
- Treatment of process water: Removal of excess chlorine, in special cases removal of oxygen
- Treatment of waste water: e.g. removal of excess chlorine in the neutralization of cyanide, neutralization of chromic acid.
- Chemical and pharmaceutical industry: As reducing agent, for purifying and isolating aldehydes and ketones.Destroying waste bromine.
- Textile industry: Cleaning bleaching wool, jute and other vegetable fibres. For reduction in the dye works.
- Leather industry: Solubilizing tanning extracts.
- Paper and pulp industry: Bleaching ground wood.
- Photographic and film industry: For developer solutions, for acidifying fixing baths.
Solution undergoes oxidation on standing in air and should be used up within a short time. At temperatures below 10 °C Sodium Metabisulphite may crystallize.
Harmful if swallowed. Contact with acids liberates toxic sulfur dioxide gas. Causes strong oxygen consumption in the water course; may harm aquatic organisms